Mike,
You mentioned that you can't climb the water tower, so I guess trying
to move the antenna into a null or putting some sort of shield is out.
 With the repeater 30 miles away, can you use a push up pole with the
yagi on it?  The water tower itself may act as a shield if it is
placed in the right place. You might could get away with a pretty
short pole if a yagi is used.

73,
Robert

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Besemer \(WM4B\)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Eric,
>

> Yeah. we're always trying to do something for nothing!  We're a
low-budget
> operation and I'm pretty much left to my own devices to try things
that the
> club wants to do.  The good thing is, if this one just doesn't come to
> fruition, we haven't spend any money on it.
>

> The radio is an old Yaesu Memorizer.  I'm sure that the front end
(or lack
> thereof) is a major part of the problem.
>

> I've looked at the site noise on a spectrum analyzer and the
repeater seems
> clean at the link frequency (with the spectrum analyzer hooked to
the link
> antenna) so it's just poor rejection on the part of the Yaesu.  With the
> antenna unhooked, there is no noise (additional . beyond normal
static) on
> the Yaesu with the repeater transmitter on and with the Yaesu hooked
to a
> signal generator, the repeater transmitter has no effect. so the
offending
> signal must be coming through the antenna.
>

> The beam is (unfortunately) also a given.  We can't climb the
watertower but
> we're allowed to use an antenna already in place. so we're stuck
with what
> we've got.
>

> I've been looking at that GE bulletin already. that's actually my
next plan
> of attack.  A plain quarter-wave stub has actually been fairly effective
> (much to my surprise) but I need to do better.
>

> I'll keep plugging away at it. it may turn out to be a total bust or
perhaps
> a case of 'okay. this is as good as it gets'.
>

> I knew I was out of my mind when I volunteered to become the repeater
> manager!
>

> 73,
>

> Mike
>
> WM4B