I got to looking in the schematics, and was going to try injecting the tone
at U0221, pin 40, which is supposed to be the MOD IN, as it's labeled, but
it's really the audio output (after all filtering, etc) that goes to the RF
stage.

Instead of doing that, I found in the software that if you program pin 8 to
"TX PL / DPL Inhibit (input)" you can actually control the CDM's PL tone
encocoder.  I checked on another repeater we use, the Motorola R1225, and it
has the same option, I think it was on pin 6, though.