From: Jim Brown
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2009 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Lunch Box Radio

I have recently moved a GE Mastr Exec II radio from the 47 mHz area up into
six meters.  (The MVP and the Exec use the same exciter).  I'll admit that
the exciter is hard to tune, but it will work without any modification.  My
technique is to set the frequency of a receiver to each multiplier frequency
and place a probe near the stage while tuning.  With a peak in signal
strength, the stage can then be tuned with a meter on the test point.

I built a probe that I use with a one inch piece of insulated wire extending
from the end that I can insert into the exciter near the stage I am trying
to tune.  This same probe works to insert a signal generator output into the
individual stages of the front end of the receiver.  Tune the mixer first
and then work toward the input one stage at a time.

73 - Jim  W5ZIT