The problem with both systems (and is also a problem with Ohio MARCS,
which is Motorola Smartnet w/P25 audio, and MI too), is that they were
designed and spec'd BY THE GOV'T to provide mobile coverage, not
handheld coverage, and they are trying to use it with mostly handhelds.
Also it was only designed to serve a few agencies (less capacity), and
they are cramming everybody and their brother on it, so it overloads
VERY fast.
I've seen this time and time again, where an agency goes for a new
system, and in order to save a buck, doesn't listen to the engineers,
and they wind up with a system that doesn't cover what they want.