Chuck / Jim,

Chuck, your last paragraph says it all.  THAT'S the bottom line on all of
these new P25/digital voice systems - they are "not ready for prime time".
Public Safety radio requires a level of reliability that I don't think ANY
vendor has been able to meet with P25 technology.  Unfortunately, I see
someone being hurt before this issue is truly realized.

Jim... yes, many systems are engineered/designed around mobile access
reliability/availability (the Illinois state system  - STARCOM21 - specified
95% mobile access reliability in their RFP, I think.  I have the system
design document - 20 MB in PDF format...) and currently they are adding
additional towers to accommodate portable access in higher populated areas,
as well as more channels at the tower sites to accommodate the level of
traffic on the system.  But I think this will take YEARS before all the bugs
get worked out.

My biggest issue, as is yours, is the "it's either there or not" problem
with digital voice technology right now.  (I hope the manufacturers are
listening to this!!)  In the ham world, we use digital to communicate when
you can't even DETECT the signal, but with these voice systems, it has to be
PERFECT in order to be decoded properly.  IMHO, we need to scrap the current
VOCODER technology in favor of something more "tolerant" of a bit error
level (or maybe employ error correction??).  At least with analog, it the
signal was down in the noise, you could still, in most cases, be able to
discern what the person was trying to say.  The other problem with the
digital technology is that it does NOT play well with ANY background noise.
Canine officers, officers at alarm calls, firefighters and others have
experienced this first hand... and this is why they the fire service
currently insists on analog on the fireground.

Yes, the technology has GREAT potential but, IMHO, right now it is WAY too
new for large scale deployment to public safety.

Mark - N9WYS