From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:repeater-buil...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Paul Plack
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 1:03 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Ham installation quality/non-quality

I've seen two cases in which club boards, over the advice of the tech
people, insisted on ordering new ham-grade repeaters so they'd be
covered by a manufacturers warranty. Apparently, the directors didn't
consider how ticked-off the users would be when the new repeater had to
be out of service for 3 or 4 weeks to be fixed.

Old Moto or GE stuff is both better quality and way cheaper than new
ham-grade stuff, meaning you can keep a stack of spares around.

Buying an expensive, poorly-shielded box of low-quality surface-mount
chips "so anybody can work on it" is actually pretty funny. Obviously
they've never worked on older commercial stuff, which usually has
manuals so detailed any chimpanzee with patience could get it fixed.

73,

Paul, AE4KR