Jim,

My only point was that the software is expensive enough to make the use
of good cheap old commercial radios (made by Motorola) far more
expensive than I had imagined.

But to get to your questions, what I am planning and costing is a remote
receiver (VHF) with a UHF link back to the base VHF repeater. The space
we have under negotiation is in a high rise building. Getting to the
equipment will involve keeping on the good side of the building engineer
and not making a nuisance of myself. The base repeater is used for ham
nets and general chit chat, but it is available (and is used) in
emergencies and public service events.

Currently I favor using ICOM ICF121S and ICF221S radios.

John T.
AF4PD