I will avoid going into the technical and political rant of...

"Why cheap mobile cross-band repeaters hooked to my properly
working much more expensive real repeater are bad...", since
we've hashed it out here on this list before, and just say this:

Call the repeater owner of the repeater you're THINKING about
doing this to, and ask their opinion of it.  If they
say, "Please don't do it."  Respect their wishes.

I can definitely say that in all the time I've run repeaters, the
only two things I've had to DF were jammers, and mobile
cross-band repeaters built into user rigs that were set up wrong
-- where the owner wasn't able to hear that they were stuck in
transmit -- that I as a repeater operator had no control over --
that were parked somewhere transmitting crap into our repeaters.

We generally do not welcome such operations on our systems
nowadays.  I can tell some people are doing it, but they seem to
have their heads on straight, always run CTCSS on their "input"
frequency, and pay attention to what the thing's doing.

Had one ham years ago that would put his carrier squelch only
crossbander in that mode and parked his car in a parking garage
downtown (high RF environment) for two weeks straight with it
transmitting crap into a high mountain repeater.

A little hunting found his input frequency and it wasn't me, but
I know who ran his truck battery dead... on purpose.

I would have been happier if it'd blown the finals, really...
after two weeks of listening to the thing and three days of
actively hunting it.

Think about the following:
- Are you going to give a way to control your cross-bander to the
control operator of the repeater you're connecting it to?
- Is your crossbander going to ID and let folks know it's a
cross-bander so they can come beat you with a Wouff Hong if you
lock up their system?
- Does your FT-8800 properly ID, or are you ID'ing it saying
you're operating through a repeater?

I'm actually TRYING to be nice here.

The words "cross-band repeater" make my blood boil, since I've
been on the receiving end of...

"Bend over, I'm hooking my crappy cross-bander to your repeater
with 150 miles+ of coverage but my crappy HT and rubber duck
can't hit it, and I am too lazy to do the RF math to see that I
just need a better antenna at VHF"... end of this far too many
times...

There are just better options... lots better...

Think about who you'll be inconveniencing if you build a
cross-band repeater, and build in a way for THEM to turn it
off... over the air preferrably, but a phone line power switch
would work too.  That'd only be reasonable since they probably
already have that feature on THEIR repeater you're linking
into... if they built theirs right.

Sorry about the rant... if you want REAL ideas on how to do
something totally different so you can communicate with the
far-away repeater... holler.  Plenty of ways to do that without a
cross-band junkpile... at least you were looking at relatively
good rigs for doing it... compared to that broad-as-a-barn-door
front end on that FT-8800!
--
  Nate Duehr, WY0X
  n...@natetech.com

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:42 +0000, "turboelesjuan"