Hi agrimm,

I've got a HT750 & HT1250, and they are both pretty
good radios.  I've had the volume control fail, (actually
one leg had a cold solder joint).  That's for over 5 years of
operation.

The LI-Ion batteries do pretty well.. lot's lighter than
the ni-mh.  They seem to last about a year in normal
use all day & charge overnight.  (use for FD/EMS)

A drawback that most Mot radios seem to have is that
they aren't waterproof, which may or may not make any
difference to you.

If you are looking for alternatives, we have been using
the IC-F50Vs for about 4 years, and have had pretty good
luck with them (about 30 units).  They are 'waterproof' to
30 minutes, 3 meters - which suits our purposes.

If you do your own programming, the software is way less
expensive than the Mot solution.

Just my 2cents. (most all my radios are Mot).

Tim  W5FN