From: iain.philipps
Date: 26/08/2009 15:57:13
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Cavity/duplexer connection cables

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, John Sehring <wb...@...> wrote:

> There seems to be confusion & mystery in the crowd of radio buffs that I
han out with (not in this group!) on the subject of connecting cable lengths
for cavity & duplexer use. I've heard that the manufacturers of such devices
also tend to be mum on this.

These sets of cables are generally known (where I come from) as "critical
length harnesses".

> It seems to me that if these devices are tuned up to perform their
function(s) (notch, peak, bandpass, bandreject, etc.) with 50 ohms of pure R
in & out as source & load Z, cable length ought not make a difference
(within reason, I'm not talking long cables with significant losses) to
their performance.

> Is this so? Am I missing something? Thanx!

Common sense would say you're right on the money. However, I think that
common sense only applies if the velocity factor of your cable is 100%.
There's also something to do with the "shape" of waves travelling along it,
and voltage/current minima and maxima, I suppose :-)