Ian,

>From your description, I can think of two reasons why the duplexer is not
performing to your expectations:
1.  It is, in fact, NOT tuned correctly, or
2.  It is incapable of performing properly in the new band segment that you
are tuning it to.

Many years ago, I bought a Yaesu/Vertex VXR-5000 UHF repeater and the
matching Vertex notch duplexer from a major Amateur Radio supplier.  When I
tested the duplexer on my bench, I found that it had been tuned for minimum
insertion loss at the pass frequencies, rather than for maximum rejection at
the notch frequencies.  Once I tuned it correctly, it worked fine.  But, I
guess the dealer's technician just didn't understand how a mobile notch
duplexer works- and he probably didn't read the instructions.

You did not state whether your duplexer was for VHF or UHF, but I know that
most UHF mobile notch duplexers have relatively narrow bands of operation,
so it is not always possible to move such a duplexer from the commercial
band down to the Amateur 70cm band, for example.  A Celwave PD633-6A-2N
duplexer works well in the 450-470 MHz band, but cannot duplicate the
performance of the PD633-6A-1N duplexer in the 406-450 MHz band where the
Amateur 70cm segment lies.  The reason for that is because the coupling
loops are factory-set for a specific band, and require special tools to
adjust..

When a mobile notch duplexer is properly tuned in the band for which it was
designed, the insertion loss at the pass frequency should be around 1.5 dB,
which means that you should get around 28 watts out for 40 watts in.  The
rejection at the notch frequency should be at least 70 dB.

I have not found the cable lengths to be critical in the dozen or so
repeaters I have set up, that use mobile notch duplexers.  That is not a
claim that cable length is irrelevant, but merely a statement that I
personally have not experienced any impact from cable length- or perhaps I'm
extraordinarily lucky!  Yes, it is possible that the duplexer has been
damaged by lightning or abuse- running excessive TX power, for example.
Finally, it is possible that a previous owner inverted the tuning because he
thought that the side marked "TX" had to be connected to the transmitter
even when the new repeater was low in-high out rather than the more common
high in-low out arrangement.  To avoid that misunderstanding, most duplexer
manufacturers now use "pass low, reject high" and "pass high, reject low"
terminal markings.

Please provide some information about your duplexer, such as the brand and
model number, and what frequencies it was previously tuned to as well as
what the new frequencies are.  When you tested the duplexer at its original
frequencies before making any tuning adjustments, did it perform to factory
specifications?

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY