Not having been in the situation to have to rely on the radio while
out enjoying the water, I would still use the best I could get.
 I dont know the turn radius of LMR 400 or even 600 but I would
seriously consider something along these lines and avoid all 8x cable.

 Being locked in to the power and such for marine rules and regs sort
of dictates using the best available and to not skimp, afterall there
are lives at stake, even if not imediately or even your own.

 Good luck with that, and tell your boating friends that they should
consider taking grandma for a nice boat ride a bit away from land and
see how comfortable they are with just a radio.
On 11/24/09, Vernon Densler <m...@highwayusa.com> wrote:

> I have been in a big discussion with the guys on my boat list about the
> right coax for running up the mast for VHF marine radio.
>

> Keeping in mind that we are talking about a 70’ or so run going up the
> center of an aluminum mast, in a salt water environment, and the radio is
> limited to 25 watts.
>
> Also keep in mind that when off shore this is a life line and the best
> possible send and receive is needed in an emergency situation.
>

> So given the criteria what is the best possible coax to use knowing that
> thickness matters and bend radiuses may be tight?  Others on the list are
> saying “just grab any old 8X type cable and you will be fine”.  I say use
> something with very low loss and suggested small heliax.
>

> Any suggestions?
>

> Vern
>
> s/v Nirvelli
>
> KI4ONW