Hi Nate,

Two or three people have already Emailed me direct so here
goes...

> Nate Duehr <n...@...> wrote:
> Nate Duehr, WY0X
> I'd love to see how that gets properly measured, if you
> ever have the time, Skipp.  That one's outside of my
> knowledge level, for sure.

Can do:

The measurements are probably best described by the
dual series preamplifier layout set-up.

The more common site hardware layout is as follows:

Antenna - Pre-Selection (cavities) - Rx Preamplifier #1 -
Variable Attenuator (later replaced by a fixed pad) - Rx
Preamplifier #2 - n-way signal divider (splitter) - Receiver.

In some systems we also use other configurations with
trailing cavities, different n-way dividers, etc.

*Note
In this example the receivers are of the same type and
or similar spec. Quite different receiver specs can be
later discussed if their inclusion in the system setup
is not obvious.

Measure the site effective sensitivity:

http://www.repeater-builder.com/tech-info/effectivesens.html

Measure and record the 20dB Sinad of your as installed
receiver. Set the center connected RF Attenuator to an
initial 1dB value.

Place a signal into the receiver system antenna input
port, increase the RF Attenuator value until you see the
receiver come out of limiting. The value of RF Attenuation
can be - is also adjusted to/for the site effective
sensitivity and becomes your fixed value pad number/value
plus 1dB (typical) in place of the variable attenuator
when you remove it.

Many of the people I know running this configuration add
at least an extra dB or two on the final fixed value pad
value.

More later... the boss is making me a very attractive offer
to go for a late afternoon walk.

back after this commercial break.

s.