Missing beacons. Same way you know that your repeater is off the air
(well, not that they beacon, but they are not there when you try to key
them up). Although, I know many that do beacon.

Or, they might have cells or capacitors that will power it long enough
to say "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!" ;->

This would be much like the repeater with battery backup that announces
"AC POWER FAIL".

Joe M.