  From: Richard
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2010 13:47
  Subject: [Repeater-Builder] RE: follow up on lightening strike last spring
response

  Sorry if I've been late in posting. First, the antenna and hard line is ok.
We've tested that part out and its working. We think ( I ) that we got zapped
through a unused phone line which is mounted behind the repeater rack.
  Yes, we have tested the can's using both a IRL (?sp) and a General Dynamics
service monitor. They were taken apart and cleaned and retuned. Everything
indicated they were functioning normally. Till we put them back in service. I
don't know if they were tested with a dummy load. The technicians made many
trips to the site: the technicians worked for the company that we rent the site
from. We replaced all of the connectors and only found one that had scorched
indications on it, but that was all.
  I asked if any of you knew how to find out if a can was operational, because
all the test equipment that was used indicated they were ok. We finally found a
workable solution. We added a fifth can, tuned to the transmit freq. That
stoped the crackling noise.
  Now we're going to replace the can's, and go with a 6 can configuration. this
is what was reconmended by the technician.

  Rich K8JX

  www.w8usa.org