Nate Duehr wrote:

> I'm saying Mike, that any rig (the first ones to do it) that can do
> "all" digital formats will pull down an arm and a leg, while the
> manufacturers laugh all the way to the bank.
The people laughing all the way to the bank are the folks with the
patent on the IMBE codec, which they've manged to get written in to
several of these specs even though there's no royalty-free
implementations available.

Matthew Kaufman

ps. And to top it off, it performs horribly for some critical
applications (try using it from inside a building with an active fire
alarm and see what gets transmitted, for example)