Ya, I bought the cable from ebay and I had an old laptop.
I've walked past this stuff for years at hamfests and heard the horror stories.
Motorola did everything they could to make this radio proprietary ..like
everything else.
I even replaced the display caps and some on the audio. blah blah blah
The radio still has the programming from the dump truck it was in.
I had even considered building something like a development board for
the code plug just so I could get into the proms.The processor has mem in it
too . Don't expect the USB programming cable to work by itself . You need the
rib box too. tx and rx ok
ther has to be a better way like make a new front panel for it .
Now I'm looking at a newer mobile hoping I can get into that and change the
splits , tone etc. Someone here had a Kenwood 800 meg
but the tx and the front end would need rework too .
Why cant someone just come up with a 900 meg fm mobile for amateur use? They
would sell a zillion of them .
Motorola is splitting up and moving out to silicon valley. They are vacating
all their facilities in Schaumburg and Illinois.