At 05:58 AM 07/09/10, you wrote:

Kenneth,

Can you elaborate on the programming piece? I'm hung up on the fact that to program the CAT-1000 via serial port, you've got to first activate the CAT-1000 serial port via the DIP switch. (I'm thinking there may be a DTMF command to activate the serial port as well, but don't have my manual handy.)

73,

Mike
WM4B

Basically you cross-connect a serial port from the IRLP computer
to the CAT controller.  Then you remote into the IRLP computer,
and you can program the CAT just as if you were local to it.

And the serial
cable from the IRLP box to the CAT will have to "cross over"
the transmit and receive data lines.

I've never used a CAT controller, so have no idea how the
remote programming is done.

If serial won't work for you , then you can always use the DTMF
send feature of the IRLP software to send DTMF strings to one
of the receiver audio inputs of the CAT.  I helped out on one
repeater where the owner had AUX 3 output of the IRLP card
wired to a reed relay coil.  One armature of the relay was wired
to the receiver audio in connection on the repeater controller ,
the normally closed contact was wired to the repeater receiver
audio, the normally open contact was wired to the IRLP sound
card output.  With AUX3 off the system worked normally, with
AUX 3 on it allowed remote programming.

As to the serial port on the CAT being active, well, you will
have to handle that as a separate project.  As I said above,
I've never seen a CAT controller in person.
Do you have to flip the switch between operating and
programing, or can you leave it in the programming enabled
position and still have the system usable??
Worst case, use the above idea and use a multiple pole relay,
with one pole across the particular section of the DIP switch?
Then "flip the DIP switch" remotely with an AUX output?

Mike WA6ILQ