From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:repeater-buil...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mike Besemer
(WM4B)
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 7:32 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Repeater Control Operator via
Other-Than-Phone-Line

At our club meeting tonight a discussion came up regarding the cost of
the phone line to our 2-meter repeater system.  Originally it was there
for the Autopatch, but has evolved to being primarily used for me to
program the controller (CAT-1000) and to control the system.  (The
autopatch is rarely used, since everyone carries a cellphone now.)

Everyone understands that the phone line is needed for control and
programming, but we started toying with other ideas.  Specifically,
having an Internet connection at the site seemed like it had a lot of
potential, but frankly I don't know why!  It'd be nice to run an I-Gate
from that location (we already have an APRS weather node there), but
it's not essential.  I could probably use it to monitor the site as
well, but that's not really much of a concern either.

So, the question is, how can we use Internet to control/program the
CAT-1000?  We could get Internet at the site for about the same cost as
the phone, and if we could use it for repeater control/programming AND
the other things I mentioned, it'd be a better deal.

Can IRLP be used for control/programming?  I'm not familiar with that
system whatsoever, but am always willing to learn.

73,

Mike
WM4B