Terry,

     I wondered the same question about a year ago and discovered that they are
type-accepted. Not that I would allow one on a system that I was in charge of
for PS work. I looked on the FCC website and saw that they were...

There is nothing saying that they can't be used on a HAM system though.

Hope this helps,

Phil KK6PE