Noel,

So let me understand.  You're saying that those interested in enabling a
repo with metadata and searches based on this metadata could wrap the
repository with a servlet.  The URI could be used by the servlet to give a
different view of the repository based on parameters, search filters
embedded in it et. Cetera.  Then the servlet manages the interaction behind
the scenes with some sort of metadata database to conduct the query and
return the results as if they were regular files on the server's repo file
system.

That sounds like it has a lot of potential.

Alex