Stephen McConnell wrote:

My initial impression is that all the following could be expressed as part of a spec. one-level-up from the artifact spec. Everything below is dealing with the notion of the usage of the repository for a particular purpose - namely the registration of artifacts arising from development processes. It would be nice if we could draw a line between the repository in its role as "artifact retrieval" as distinct from the *usage* of the repository for a particular domain objective.

Personally I figure this can be archived by layering on a usage specific set of rules/best-practices on top of the [version] element.

Yes I agree,
A repo usage of version best practice document.

Cheers, Steve.