Hi all,
I've been lurking for a little while now, and appreciate all the work you
guys have done working on this spec.

I agree with both Tim and Stephen in regards to below.  I believe that there
should be a *mandatory* subproject descriptor because it allows for more
flexibility with regards to project management.  Take for example the
following situations:
 * There are different versions of a specific project, not just evolutions
but different packages, something like a commercial product that has a
"basic", "premium", and "ultra" configuration (assuming that this repository
specification could work for commercial products).  With subproject
designations, the configuration could be specified because the "ultra"
configuration contains many more features than the "basic" configuration.
 * The Jakarta Commons project - enough said there, along with similar
situations like the Apache Incubator and other projects.
 * A standalone project - the "accepted" project (like the HEAD branch)
could be called the subproject "main" (or something like that), but there
could be other variations (take the Linux Kernel, for example - there are
versions that are not included in the main source tree, like grsecurity, but
still create a Linux kernel - and can be distributed), that would value from
being subprojects.

Along with Stephen, I believe that organizations should not be in the URI,
just because.

My $0.03 (it's a little more than $0.02 :)),
-Matt Kurjanowicz