Tim Anderson wrote:

The fact that commons-lang and commons-io are both part of the same
Jakarta Project has no meaning to a repository.

True, but users browsing the repository can find them easier if they are grouped together.

The only difference between
commons/lang and commons-lang is the number of items in a directory.

but again if we allow arbitrary number of "/" before the the artifact part how can we tell what the project is

we are back to
http://repo.com/alpha/beta/alpha/beta/dist/beta-alpha.zip
http://repo.com/dist/nightly/dist/dist/dist/dist/foo.zip

Silly examples but with out a RIGID spec it will happen. Someone will want to name thier project Alpha, or nightly or the orginaztion will be named dist or intrim or snapshot.

Lets just pick a number of groupings one or two or three and stick with it. Allow the "/" to have special meaning.

R,
Nick