A significant divergence in the Directory structures of Maven Repositories and the "dist" mirrors I've encountered involves the usage of "binaries", "sources" and "distributions" naming for artifact type directories.

While this isn't much of an issue in terms of the "URISyntax" spec, which I believe supports any of this sort of naming convention, the issue lies more in resolving content duplication issues in projects like Avalon which maintains both structures in their directories. There is no simple "symlink" that can be approached to resolve these duplication issues because the directory structures are not the same. IE

avalon/phoenix/jars/phoenix-client-4.0.4.jar
java-repository/avalon-phoenix/jars/avalon-phoenix-client-4.0.4.jar

avalon/logkit/v1.2/LogKit-1.2-bin.zip
java-repository/logkit/distributions/LogKit-1.2-bin.zip

avalon/framework/source/avalon-framework-4.1.5.src.zip
java-repository/avalon-framework/distributions/avalon-framework-4.1.5.src.zip

As you can see there are several different naming strategies being used in the Avalon repository contents.

See Henk's dist management report's "fyi : some doubles" section:
http://www.apache.org/~henkp/md5/

We need a solution to this issue of content duplication between the ASF Repository and the separate Repositories that Avalon is maintaining.

-Mark
--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer