Elliot Gage wrote:
> Chris,
> Thanks for the reply. I am actually referring to having separate web
> applications that can cooperate with or be consumed by other web
> applications.

One sort of architecture that provides something like this often has at its
root a set of "web services" that have no UI (or a very minimal UI).  Those web
services are consumed by some end-user-facing application process, the "front
end", which users interact with directly; it has a lot of UI.  The front end
application communicates with the "back end" applications over HTTP, and
consumes the services they offer, and basically translates those services that
have no UI to a user interface that a normal person can use.

Such an architecture can be created by using any framework (even a combination
of disparate frameworks written in wildly differing languages).  This is one of
its strengths.  BFG offers facilities here such as json rendering and "view
predicates" which can make the job of writing a "web service" a little easier,
but in general, any framework will do in such an architecture.

Personally, I am not really a fan of this type of architecture (see
http://www.plope.com/Members/chrism/service_process_fascination) but apparently
lots of folks have had success with it.

Anyway, I hope this helps.