On 2 May 2010 22:03, Luciano Ramalho <luci...@ramalho.org> wrote:

> In these, we don't store serialized objects, but just the data to
> reconstruct the objects. But the data is not completely dismembered in
> some normalized form.
> In a semi-structured database the data graph can follow very closely
> the original object graph, which makes retrieval easier for the
> programmer and more efficient for the database. And the schema is
> self-describing, which means if you have a database backup, then you
> are able to get to the data even if you don't have the software that
> put it there.

> Here is formal definition, from the same source:
> """
> A semi-structured data instance is a rooted, directed graph in which
> the edges carry labels representing schema components, and leaf nodes
> (i.e., nodes without any
> outgoing edges) are labeled with data values (integers, reals, strings, etc.).
> """

I suspect that databases such as CouchDB and the others you mention
are not well suited to graph traversal. Efficient traversal must occur
near the data, otherwise you pay the latency cost on each edge
traversed. In ZODB this is achieved through the object cache - you
expect most of the target object's parents to already be present in
the cache when serving a request. In other systems traversal happens
in the database - for an example see