Am 04.05.2010, 23:45 Uhr, schrieb Laurence Rowe <>:

> It's worth noting that many RDBMS's do now support recursive queries
> of some kind (Postgres introduced them in 8.4), though it's not yet
> ubiquitous.

Windowing functions and their ilk might well reinvigorate the RDBMS world.
They should by rights revolutionise it but the usual feet-dragging and
mutually incompatible implementations will probably put a spanner in the

> It would be interesting to see what sort of performance
> could be had from a single table adjacency list with metadata stored
> as json (or a python pickle.). After all, you are not compelled to
> store normalised data in your RDBMS.

Marc-André Lemburg is quite a fan of mixed storage and it can be both fast
and intuitive as long as you have considerable control of the client
applications accessing the data. If this isn't the case then things can go
horribly wrong.

> Nevertheless, I do find the recent NoSQL databases interesting, mostly
> for their willingness to relax consistence constraints to achieve
> higher performance.

Yes, but you can always disable constraints on a relational database for
the same purpose. For of the inadequacies of SQL should not be used as an
excuse for poor application design with no attention to data-modelling.
Marc-André will be covering this (selective use of pickles, switching off
integrity checking) in his talk on the Ghana VAT project at Europython in
July (done in Django essentially without Django).

Charlie Clark
Managing Director
Clark Consulting & Research
German Office