Excellent question!
I tested your hypothesis by changing from an address to a bogus name
(ptc-dantoo) and then adding that name only to the host file on the system
hosting the Resin proxy servlet. On a third machine on the network, I
connected to the proxy again. The link returned by the host was:

http://ptc-dantoo/test2.html which failed.

So it appears that Resin's proxy servlet is inserting the host name or IP
address provided in the configuration.

      <init host='ptc-dantoo:80'/>