Yes, we are currently using Apache 2.0.46, which is the current version
provided with Red Hat Enterprise 3.

My plan is to eventually remove Apache from the mix once I have replaced
the dependencies on it.  I expect overall performance to increase since
Resin will be handling the requests directly without them being
transferred over a port to Apache.

I can't comment if there is a performance difference between the open
source version and professional version.  If there is a difference, I
doubt you would see it in testing.  Maybe someone else can comment on this.