well, I did come up with a solution, however it is Resin-specific and requires
some client-side code at all login points (ie: there is a customer login
implemented in Flex as well as an administrative login implemented in HTML).

I set up apache for the web-tier and resin as the app-tier, connected by
mod_caucho.  I have an idea of the overall systems architecture, but for this
discussion we just assume that there is some farm of apache servers that are
available under a single URL.

Resin offers a way to specify a preferred app-tier server in the cluster by
accessing the web-tier and passing in a pre-fab jsessionid, utilizing the
Resin-specific algorithm of starting it with an "a", "b", "c", etc.  for
example, if I wanted the second server listed in the cluster in resin.conf, I
request the following:

http://www.myserver.com;jsessionid=b

now, if there is no current session, mod_caucho will do its best to point the
web-tier to the second server in the app-tier cluster.  it will still, however,
fall back to the other clustered servers if B is down.  this is exactly what I
want.

the downside to this solution is that my client code has to do some work to
make this happen.  as a user logs in, the client must a) clear the session, and
b) figure out the appropriate URL (ie: jsessionid prefix) to use and switcheroo
it in as the user logs in, based on the project number entered in to the login
form.

I actually have a server-side servlet that does the logic, so I just need a way
to call it easily.  basically, in Flex I just use the standard Flash
mx:HTTPService, which is easy, and in HTML I just use AJAX.  so it's not too
bad, but it would be nice if it was even more "behind the scenes".  it can't be
100% behind the scenes, tho.  I would at least need a convention of putting the
project number in the session or in the login URL under a specific name, or
something like that, even if I could do custom load balancing login on a
hardware load-balancer.

anyway, so far so good.

any suggestions for improvements would be definitely appreciated!

..mike..

Michael Wynholds
President
Carbon Five, Inc.