Note - this worked for previous snapshots, it just been broken now.
We find it useful to develop sites locally, stage them, then move them
to production when ready. For local
development we fire up resin and configure them such that their url is
conveniently available after
http://localhost:8080, for example http://localhost:8080/www.foo.com,
http://localhost:8080/www.bar.com etc.
Then when moved to staging they become
http://www.staginghost.com:8080/www.foo.com and finally production is as
expected.
The advantage with this is it is always clear where you are from the
url: you can have all 3 open at once. The
configuration for this has always been easy too, using this syntax:

    <host id="" root-directory=".">
      <web-app id="/" root-directory="webapps/ROOT"/>

      <resin:import>
        <fileset dir="${resinHome}/conf/hostconf">
          <include name="**/*.xml"/>
        </fileset>
      </resin:import>

This means that all we needed was the relevant *.xml file for each host
anywhere under our conf/hostconf dir.
When the <host-deploy> directive was introduced I was sure this meant we
could do the same thing but without
the restarts, but this isn't exactly the case. Sure, I can create a
localhost folder and stick host.xml in it for my
foo.com example as above, and access it with
http://localhost:8080/www.foo.com, but the definition of foo.com is within
the host.xml file, so I have no way to do the same for bar.com as I have
using the <resin:import> style.
I could edit my local hosts file and add aliases but that means there is
extra (unnecessary) config and you can't tell
from the url where you are if at any time www.foo.com could really be
pointing to 127.0.0.1.

Unless there is a way of doing this I'd really appreciate the
<resin:import> functionality not to be dropped please.

The pligg verbose logging I reported is still present in this snapshot.

One other small point I'm sure you'd like to address before 3.1.15 : its
now 2008 but the snapshot still announces itself
as copyright 1998-2007 ;-)