Here is not a solution, while it gives some insights on java sevelet
spec and jsp spec:

http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2005/08/04/jspcomponents.html?page=3#jsp_servlets_compatibility

In this article, it referred to old resin versions, I believe. Probably
this can be  helpful for resin developers to consider the issue and help
resolve the "already committed" or "illegal state" exceptions.

By the way, for the issue in the post "[Resin-interest] Resin 3.1,
RequestDispatcher, include() and forward()",  I do not know how struts
1.3.8 is configured on your machine and your application code. However,
the "illegal state" exception did disappear when we upgraded to struts
1.3.8 in the web app with resin 3.1.4. The code causing that exception
previously is:

<jsp:include page="/blah/blah/strutsAction.do"/>

Hope this helps.