Your problem is similar to mine.

I spent the entire day yesterday trying to debug phpbb3 running on
quercus.  Phpbb3 appears to be using either Smarty or something
similar and I am getting almost the exact problem that you're getting.

It was super difficult to debug scripts under quercus.  Debugging
under IntelliJ is driving me nuts. :)

Since i am able to consistently get quercus to not process smarty
tags, I am a bit closer to finding the real cause to the problem.  I
believe I've at least narrowed it down to either the Regex module or
the Array storage/processing in Quercus.

If I get some time, I may continue to debug and find out why Quercus
simply hates these regular expressions.

Perhaps spending the time trying to get vbulletin to work under
quercus might be a more productive use of my time. :)

-Chris