I am using Resin Pro.

This all worked fine under Ubuntu 7.10 with OpenSSL 0.9.8e.  I just tried
compiling 0.9.8e under Ubuntu 8.04 and the Java VM crashes when Resin tries
to enable my HTTPS port.  I haven't looked at it in detail to see what is
behind that.

One odd thing...  When my copy of Resin opens the HTTPS port using 0.9.8g, I
get a line in the console that states the version of OpenSSL begin used.  On
our other (working) systems, there is no output like that.

That is a good suggestion that I may need to go all the way back to the
"supported" OpenSSL.