On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 06:06:04PM +0200, Clemens Perz wrote:
> Hi Guys!
>
> I am playing around with Resin/Quercus now for a few days, trying to
> make one of my PHP applications work in this environment.
>
> It consists out of two parts, a traditional web frontend that I think I
> will get up and running with Resin.
>
> The other part is a TCP server, which I usually start through inetd or a
> daemon written in C++. All the logic for the server is pure PHP.
>
> Do you think I can port this to be controlled by a daemon/service
> written in Java and still have the logic in PHP, processed by Quercus?
> Could you give me any hints how to approach this? Where could be
> pitfalls, what kind of wrappers you think I might have to write?
>
> Any information that helps would be highly welcome :))

Hi Clemens,

This can be done in Resin, but it will take a bit of work.  First,
you'll need write a custom protocol.  Resin has a facility that lets
you do that and configure it pretty easily:

http://www.caucho.com/resin/examples/custom-protocol/index.xtp

Next, you'll need to integrate Quercus into that protocol.  There are
a couple ways of doing that, but the easiest would probably be to use the
javax.script interface.  You'll just use the "Quercus" engine for the
language.  Looks like we don't have an example up for that yet, so I'll
throw a quick one up on the blog (http://blog.caucho.com/) later today.
If you have experience with javax.script though, it should be pretty
straight forward.

Keep us updated on your progress!  It sounds like a very interesting
project.

Emil

Emil Ong
Chief Evangelist