Hi,
What we do is to use the Groovy scripts through the Java Scripting API
during development and then compile them into class, if desired, for
production. Accessing Groovy scripts is not too slow, after the first
access, if you are careful not to throw the ScriptingEngine object after
each access, as creating them is the most expensive operation.

I did some experiments with it not that long ago:
http://www.jroller.com/greeneyed/entry/don_t_throw_your_scriptengines

So we opted for scripting during development, as even though you might
get groovyc compilation to work, I'm not sure why but Hot Swapping does
not seem to work with groovyc generated classes and each time you make a
change, the context is restarted and it can become quite a pain.

S!
D.