On Jan 8, 2009, at 5:23 PM, Rob Lockstone wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2009, at 13:52, Jay Ballinger wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We're running Resin 3.0.18 Pro on a Windows 32-bit system and we're
>> looking to understand/tune our memory settings a bit.
>>
>> According to http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.0/performance/jvm-tuning.xtp
>> the stack size is set to 2048k unless set otherwise. Is this true?
>> In using JConsole we can't see where any explicit -Xss setting is
>> passed and we can't readily determine what the current stack size is
>> set to.

Try -verbose when starting.  Since the -Xss is a command line option,
it should be reported.  Also, JConsole should be able to see the
command line options on one of the system beans.

> I think Caucho tends to err on the side of caution in this regard, and
> is also (understandably) more *nix-central than Windows. So take that
> 2048K as being "appropriate for most situations" with a grain of salt
> because situations can vary wildly.

Basically.  There's no way for us to know if your application needs
more stack or more threads.  So I assumed 1G heap, leaving 1G for
other stuff, and then figured the default should support 1000 threads,
giving 1m as a default, which should be enough stack unless you have
massively recursive applications, and enough threads for most apps.
You know your own requirements best, of course.

I believe Linux is the most finicky about the stack allocation, so it
was the OS we needed to solve (and it was the OS which exposed the
issue first.)

I'm really looking forward for the 64-bit transition to complete so we
can use as much VM as possible.

-- Scott