I have just skimmed this thread, so I'm sorry if I'm trying to solve the
"wrong" problem, but can't you just fix the errors in your Hibernate
mapping files, which you quoted in your original post?
Those are DTD errors, but some parsers (read: Resin) will ignore them
silently. For us this meant that our XML was accepted in the runtime
environment (Resin parser) but caused errors in our JUnit tests (Xerces
parser).

I'd highly recommend having JUnit tests for all your Hibernate mappings
(i.e. a TestCase for each *DAOImpl class). Spring and hsqldb really is
helpful here.

Good luck.

/Mattias