On Mar 19, 2010, at 12:40:23, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> Rick Mann wrote:
>> Some additional information: I tried installing 4.0.5 on my better server 
>> (Resin-4.0.0, Nexenta/Open Solaris, recent, lots of RAM, faster CPUs), and 
>> got similar behavior. I got it up and running, noticed some oddness at first 
>> (java link errors running my app, slow page loads the first few times), then 
>> it seemed to get normal.
>> Then about  5 minutes later, it stopped responding. I didn't investigate, 
>> but rather just switched back to using resin-4.0.0. No idea if it was the 
>> same issue. In the logs, I saw it restarting, but it never came back.
> Thanks for the update. Just to review the symptoms:
> 1. Both JVMs are around and responds to kill -QUIT (there have been 
> cases where the JVM has been so frozen it doesn't respond to anything.)
> 2. Resin is not responding to connect() for either of two ports.
> 3. The thread dump shows active threads in the nativeAccept() of both ports.
> 4. Netstat looks normal (i.e. it's not showing lots of connections in 
> strange states.)
> My stress testing isn't showing anything like this kind of behavior yet, 
> but any further details would help narrow the tests.


I finally just moved my webapps to my Open Solaris machine, which is much more 
modern, and has a lot more RAM available. (It is currently running resin-4.0.0, 
warts and all.) This will allow me to update the older machine at my leisure. 
The problem I'm facing now is twofold, and the first of these might be related.

1) Attempts to upgrade to resin-4.0.5 have failed. Resin seems to run fine, but 
then stops after an hour or two. Because this machine is more critical (it 
hosts the data for my iPhone app), I just switch back to resin-4.0.0, which has 
problems but is stable. More details about how I installed it below.

2) On both 4.0.0 and 4.0.5, I have problems with Quercus and WordPress. In 
4.0.0, I get a StackOverflowError. In 4.0.5, I get a PHP report of a database 
connection error (and I believe that comes with a 500 response).

Installation Details

The configuration for both is exactly the same, as much as I can remember and 
glean from my history. I put the individual resin released in 
/usr/local/resin/versions(/resin-4.0.0, resin-4.0.5, etc.), and symlink one of 
those to /usr/local/resin/current. When I installed 4.0.0, I believe I set that 
up first, then ran ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/resin/current, then make, 
sudo make install.

For 4.0.5, I put it in place, but left the symlink pointing to 4.0.0, and did 
configure --prefix=/usr/local/resin/versions/resin-4.0.5, make, make install 
(not sudo). This complains that it couldn't install /etc/resin/ stuff, but I 
already had that from the previous build.

Now, when I switch between versions, I change the symlink, and blow away all 
the WEB-INF/work directories (I'm posting a separate question about that), 
sometimes I stop and restart the server via the resin.sh script I have (which 
is just a wrapper around:

java -jar /usr/local/resin/current/lib/resin.jar -verbose -root-directory 
/var/www -conf /etc/resin/resin.xml $*

But usually it restarts itself (because of the symlink change, I presume).

When I get some time, I'll try with resin-4.0.4, but I'm supposed to be doing 
"real" work for my employer today.


resin-interest mailing list

Reply via email to