Hello folks,

I need some helping hands with a puzzler, we ran into recently… We are using
the licensed resin pro 3.1.9 to handle all our servlets and .jsps and
additionally we kicked apache and also use resin to spread the static .html
contents to the world. While we are aware how to influence max-age in our
servlets and .jsps, we still have a strange issue with folders, where content
was added after someone already called the empty folder generating a 404
response.

Even if we put the index.html into the folder resin will not recognize this and
still give the 404 error. Last time this happens it lasted more than 16 hours,
until we restarted resin to get rid of this effect. Now my question is, where
can I influence cache times of such responses, when I call a folder?

Just to give better example… I put a new folder in my doc tree. Then a call of
http://my-server.com/newfolder/ will give me 404 page as I have not filled
folder yet. When I now put my static index.html into newfolder I can directly
call the index.html and page will show. But the call of
http://my-server.com/newfolder/ still gives me the 404 error page for hours and
days. How can I avoid this without need to restart resin?

Any clues, ideas, hints?

Best regards,
m.w.