Well I don't know the internals of Resin, so I cannot comment on the reason, but I can think of a potential work-around:

Assuming you can call http://.../folder/index.html and it works, but they are distributing http://.../folder/

Add this to your <web-app> section of your resin.xml:

<rewrite-dispatch>
<forward regexp='(/path-to-newsletters/.*)/$' target='$1/index.html'/>
</rewrite-dispatch>

Which will explicitly forward the request to the index.html file (happens internally already, but this explicitly makes that happen as a workaround, since the internal mechanism is broken due to some caching issue).

If the URLs are more complex with parameters, etc you would need to modify that a bit.

Aaron