Aaron Freeman wrote:
>   On 10/20/2010 12:39 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>
>> Aaron Freeman wrote:
>>
>>>    Bah I stumbled on this, but it doesn't appear to do what I was hoping:
>>>
>>> <context-param>
>>> <param-name>baz</param-name>
>>> <param-value>value</param-value>
>>> </context-param>
>>>
>>> When I tried to reference that in a test.jsp like this, it is empty:
>>>
>>> <%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core"; prefix="c" %>
>>>
>>> Any other way to do this?
>>>

>> Hmm. I'd forgotten that context-param is application.getInitParam.
>>
>> You can use ${initParam.baz} to get the context-param value.
>>
>> I can't remember any way to set the application attributes directly from
>> the config file, although we could enhance resin:set to allow for
>> var="#{application.bar}".
>>
>> -- Scott
>>

> A coworker stumbled upon ${initParam.baz} -- the only unfortunate thing
> about that is, we are trying to do this:
>
> <context-param baz="${varWePassedIn}"/>

Can you try <servlet-allow-el/> before that context-param? That should
enable the EL evaluation.
> And when we dump ${initParam.baz} it renders literally as
> "${varWePassedIn}" instead of the value of ${varWePassedIn}.
>
> The resin:set solution sounds great.  Would this be more intuitive:
>
> <resin:set var="bar" value="${passedInValue}" scope="application"/>
>
> Where you reference a scope instead of have the #{application.bar} syntax?

The problem is that resin:set doesn't actually know about web-apps
because it's a generic high-level configuration tag.  The EL expression
would work because resin:set can evaluate things in context, and the
web-app context would know about the application scope.

-- Scott