Scott

I don't think I needed separate watchdog processes:

I started with the following in the server-default for both web and app
clusters

This seemed to prevent resin from starting.

<!--
            - If starting Resin as root on Unix, specify the user name
            - and group name for the web server user.-->
<resin:if test="${resin.userName == 'root'}">
<user-name>resin</user-name>
<group-name>webadmin</group-name>
</resin:if>

If I only had it in the app tier resin loaded ok

If I only had it in the web tier resin failed to load

SOLUTION:

When I moved it so it was only in the <cluster-default> as a
<server-default>

everything seemed much happier with the following status which I think
leaves everything in a safe configuration

ATHPROD002:/etc/init.d # ./resin status
Resin/4.0.22 status for watchdog at 127.0.0.1:6600

watchdog:
   watchdog-pid: 12774

server 'app-a' : ACTIVE
   password: ok
   watchdog-user: root
   user: resin(webadmin)
   root: /var/www
   conf: /etc/resin/resin.xml
   pid: 12931
   uptime: 0 days 00h09

server 'app-b' : ACTIVE
   password: ok
   watchdog-user: root
   user: resin(webadmin)
   root: /var/www
   conf: /etc/resin/resin.xml
   pid: 13038
   uptime: 0 days 00h09

server 'web-a' : ACTIVE
   password: ok
   watchdog-user: root
   user: resin(webadmin)
   root: /var/www
   conf: /etc/resin/resin.xml
   uptime: --

ATHPROD002:/etc/init.d #

--

Alan Wright
Athene Systems

tel 0845 230 9803

Athene Systems Limited
Registered Office:
Shieling House
Invincible Road
Farnborough
GU14 7QU

Registered in England and Wales No. 3156080