I’ve tested ex03_1 after set it up properly and deployed it on Tomcat8. And it
works without any problem:

$ curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/xml" -d
"<customer><first-name>Bill</first-name><last-name>Burke</last-name><street>256
Clarendon
 http://127.0.0.1:8080/ex03_1/customers

From catalina.out: Created customer 1

$ curl http://127.0.0.1:8080/ex03_1/customers/1