From: Weinan Li <l.wei...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 5:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Resteasy-users] Running JAX-RS 2.0 O'Reilly book samples on
Tomcat..
To: Kapil Gambhir <kapil.gamb...@gmail.com>
Cc: resteasy-users@lists.sourceforge.net

--
Weinan Li

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 at 7:00 PM, Kapil Gambhir wrote:

> Hi,
> thanks for a prompt response, am using the JAX-RS v2, so the
"oreilly-jaxrs-2.0-workbook/ex03_1".
> I am able to run the example with the web.xml (http://web.xml) changes
suggested by you, it made sense also but am wondering how the default
example (shipped as a zip) worked on jetty (which is also a servlet
container only, pretty much like Tomcat). The examples download has the
Maven scripts which execute the test client using the Jetty and that works
fine without the web.xml (http://web.xml) changes. Any idea on this one?
> my objective is to use a lightweight container to keep things simple and
fast.

I haven't looked into details of Jetty, but the reason could only be that
Jetty supports JAX-RS2.0 spec out of box.

l.wei...@gmail.com)> wrote:
> > Hi Kapil,
> >
> > Are you using "oreilly-jaxrs-2.0-workbook/ex03_1" or
"oreilly-workbook/ex03_1"? The former one can only be deployed in a JavaEE
application server that supports JAX-RS 2.0 spec like WildFly, because it
doesn't have standalone settings in web.xml (http://web.xml). Please add
following settings you web.xml (http://web.xml) if you want to deploy it in
tomcat:

> > <servlet>
> > <servlet-name>Resteasy</servlet-name>
> > <servlet-class>
> > org.jboss.resteasy.plugins.server.servlet.HttpServletDispatcher
> > </servlet-class>
> > <init-param>
> > <param-name>javax.ws.rs.Application</param-name>
> > <param-value>
> > com.restfully.shop.services.ShoppingApplication
> > </param-value>
> > </init-param>
> > </servlet>
> >
> > <servlet-mapping>
> > <servlet-name>Resteasy</servlet-name>
> > <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
> > </servlet-mapping>
> >

> > In addition, if ex03_1.war is deployed into tomcat correctly you should
see the following log in catalina.out:

> > resteasy.spi.ResteasyDeployment. Deploying
javax.ws.rs.core.Application: class
com.restfully.shop.services.ShoppingApplication
> > 16-Jan-2014 13:37:17.219 INFO [localhost-startStop-2]
org.jboss.resteasy.spi.ResteasyDeployment. Adding singleton resource
com.restfully.shop.services.CustomerResource from Application class
com.restfully.shop.services.ShoppingApplication

> > And then you can access it by http://127.0.0.1:8080/ex03_1/customers
> >
> > --
> > Weinan Li
> >

> > On Thursday, January 16, 2014 at 1:16 AM, Kapil Gambhir wrote:
> >
> > > am trying to run the samples from the O'Reilly book (by Bill Burke)
on Tomcat. Tried both for Tomcat 7 and 8. The ShoppingApplication deploys
fine but when i try to POST a customer resource to /services/customers it
gives me 404.
> > > I built the war from the Maven for Chapter 3 example (ex03_1) and
deployed that war on Tomcat and the deployment (Tomcat startup console)
shows messages of ShoppingApplication being deployed. What am i missing,
dont see any error message or any clue around what could be going wrong.