-----Original Message-----
From: Marty James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: retro-talk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, December 14, 1999 8:37 PM
Subject: Re: Win9x client problems with Retro 5.0

>>I just purchased Retrospect 5.0 server edition for the PC and I am having
>>few problems.
>>1. Win9x clients seem to work sometimes, after a reboot they may or may
>>work. When connecting from  the server I get a -530 (client cannot be
>>I think it says) In the clients Control panel I get a winsock
>>error. I have upgraded to winsock2 and applied the update that comes with
>>the retrospect installer to the win 95 clients and no luck. I see this on
>>some win95B, win98, and win98 SE boxes. Some are laptops some are
>>It doesn't seem to happen on all the boxes.
>>2. Will retrospect wake up a sleeping HD on a mac? I had 3 macs that
>>wouldn't backup, but after i went to the machines and hit the SB the HD's
>>spun up and I successfully did an imediate backup. I configured the HD's
>>never go to sleep so I will see if that fixes it after tonight's BU.
>Switch the Energy saver control panel in the Mac to NEVER sleep, and
>use a screen saver such as "true pics"....or just put the monitor to
>sleep after a certain time using the 'show details' button.

I did set the HD's to never sleep but let the monitors sleep. Is this a
normal problem, if the HD's go to sleep they cannot be backed up?

>I like the idea of saving energy, but I don't like the idea of hard
>drives spinning up and down all the time, least not in desktop

I feel exactly the same way! Too much wear and tear!

>>3. The last problem I am having is the tapes are not using their full
>>capacity. The drive is an Exabyte EZ17 autoloader (7 tapes and a mammoth
>>drive) the tapes hold 20GB Uncompressed and 40GB 2:1 the drive does 140GB
>>Uncompressed and 280GB 2:1. When I check the members of the backup sets
>>tapes says it has Approx. 10GB worth of data. Out of 6 tapes I have only
>>backed up about 60GB. The network is 10/100 switched and the backup
>>is a P Pro 200 128MB ram. AVG throughput ranges from 40MB/M to around a
>>125MB/M or so. Clients rage from P150 to P2 500 and Performa 180MHZ to G4
>That's good speed, thanks mostly to the switched hubs and fast cards
>in the macs.... How much data are you backing up?....Simple way is to
>check the log after a full backup and calculate the data based on the
>total average transfer rate multiplied by the total time taken.

I don't know YET how much data is getting backed up :-)
The first full backup only worked on about 22 machines which totaled about
42 GB
I love the fact that Retrospect doesn't backup duplicate files!

>Check to see if your device incorporates Hardware compression, if so
>check your preferences to see that you take advantage of that and
>don't use software compression in conjunction with that.

Hardware compression is on and software compression is off. I was thinking
of enabling software compression. Is that a bad idea to have both turned on?

>>I just bought retrospect and have not gotten the package yet. I am using
>>Eval version I downloaded, so I haven't gotten the manual yet.
>>Any help on any of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.