This is what we do in our GIS lab. We automatically duplicate
(nightly when no ones working and files are closed) many drives that
contain our critical ArcView and ArcInfo data scattered across our
network (combination Windows 95, 98, NT4) to a single map server
(NT4) via Retro on a Mac (100base-T ethernet) that has several 27 GB
hard drives. You just need to make sure that the subvolumes you
create on the destination drives, representing the drives scattered
across the network, contain enough free space.

The map server w/backup drives then gets backed up periodically to
tape. This situation seems to keep our map techs happy, as they worry
about data integrity once the GIS info has been written to tape,
given Arc's unique handling of data structures, pointers, and
workspaces. Restores for Arc GIS data have to be done very carefully,
and being able to move data from a duplicated drive back to its
original location is much preferred to restoring from tape. Took one
Arc workstation meltdown, wrestling with the Arc data structure to
devise this (hopefully) foolproof system.

One gotcha on many PC machines: the BIOS can't handle drives larger
than, I believe 32GB without being upgraded. Not all PCs will allow
you to upgrade their BIOS, or it isn't worth the time and effort to
do so. Found out the hard way, which is why my B&W G3 has a nice 34GB
Maxtor (which had a disclaimer "inside" the box about this possible
limitation), and the PC has 27GB drives. Not often you can one-up the
PC/NT support person, when you're the Mac guy in the lab. But in this
situation with Retrospect, you sure can.

Jim Coefield
[EMAIL PROTECTED]