on 12/6/1999 2:36 PM, Mark E. Ingram at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>> When the button was clicked, though, the tape was *not* ejected, and no
>>> combination of the Eject button on the LaCie STD-9000 (Sony mechanism) -
>>> power on or power off - or the Retrospect program will cause the tape to
>>> eject.  With similar APS drives, holding the Eject button down while the
>>> unit is powered up has never failed to eject a tape.
>>
>> We've had similar odd problems with an identical unit, and from recent
>> posts on the list I'm wondering if perhaps we should apply the latest
>> firmware update. It requires a PC with a SCSI card, of course...
>
> I forgot to mention that this *is* the second such identical DAT drive on
> which we've had this problem.
>
>> ... from recent posts on the list I'm wondering if perhaps we should
>> apply the latest firmware update. It requires a PC with a SCSI card,
>> of course...
>
> Ouch!  If you try this, and it works, please report back to the list.

If you have a Sony SDT-9000 DDS-3 tape drive and are having odd problems
with it (lost access to media, etc.), check the firmware revision (use
Retrospect's "SCSI Status"). If it's not 0400 (mine, a LaCie OEM, was 0200),
find a Wintel with a SCSI card, download the firmware updater from Sony's
website, and update the drive's firmware. This seems to have alleviated our
problems. I'll know within a week whether or not it's completely fixed,
because we've been getting a "lost access to media" error at some point
every week.

The firmware update fix might cure problems with other drives as well, but I
can only speak for the SDT-9000. Check your drive manufacturer's website to
see if an update is available for your unit.

<><
Jon L. Gardner, Computer Systems Manager <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Texas A&M University Dept. of Food Services <http://food.tamu.edu/>
Tel 409.458.1839 Fax 409.845.2157 ICQ 34792860
PGP public key available at <http://food.tamu.edu/pgp/jon.html>