I recently purchased a Mac G4/400 with the DVD-RAM option, hoping that
this would be a simple backup solution. I had become extremely bored with
the sound of and skeptical of the quality of the Travan 4 (Seagate) tape
backups I was using.

Things haven't worked out quite the way I imagined...it is verrrrrry
slow, showing 6mb/min as a final transfer stat (disk copy method,
slightly better for regular backup). You can imagine how long it takes to
copy 2.5GB at that rate. What I don't know is whether this is actually
the speed of the drive or whether some other problem exists in my system.
I don't have any other kind of problem with speed or crashes or anything
elsewhere on my system.

Is there anyone out there who has used DVD-RAM and can relate to me what
I should be expecting in terms of transfer speeds? Or suggestions for